Sunday, June 28, 2009

Laptop Day 3 – Why I am sad on Windows

I installed almost all the things I need on the system. Windows is not bad and feels fine. I installed all the free solutions to all my entertainment needs. I installed VLC Player for my videos. I still have to install Real Player though. I wonder why VLC can’t play .rmvb…

Then there is the one thing which I missed on my years on Linux – uTorrent! It is by a long long way the best torrent client to date. Its sad that they haven’t released a Linux version yet even though they are open source…

Songbird – a Mozilla based music player had taken my fancy on Linux and the Windows version of it is lighter and easier.

And Mozilla! How I hate IE! I actually gave IE a chance but grew very frustrated by the default settings. Maybe I should give Chrome a chance…

I’ll end by giving 2 very basic reasons about why I liked the Linux I had over the last 3 years.

1. Whenever I had an issue, I felt almost certain that someone else must have had the same problem as me. I would check on the forums and inevitably there would be a solution. When there was no solution you could post it and get an answer in under a day.

2. The best part, though, was that all solutions are free. When it came to reading of awkward formats like .djvu and .chm there were available add-ons (not even separate programs) which I could install with a few clicks (not even commands) and get the job done.

I miss both of these dearly. But anyway I guess this will do for the time being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

VLC does play .rmvb btw you need to install the plugin before that. You can run Utorrent in linux using wine,etc